Hex Netting with a Variety of Applications
Hex netting, chicken wire, hexagonal mesh - these are some of the names given to this widely used and versatile mesh and fence. There are three types of hex netting available: Galvanized Before Weave (GBW), Galvanized After Weave (GAW) and vinyl coated (VC). Scroll down for a variety of applications.
GBW (Galvanized Before Weld)
The most common type of hex netting available. These utility meshes are economical and have many uses. Standard size rolls are 12", 18", 24", 30", 36", 48", 60" and 72" widths. The netting is woven from 20 gauge galvanized wire into 1" and 2" hexagonal meshes. There is also a 1-1/2" hex mesh woven from heavy 17 gauge galvanized wire that is available in 60" and 72" widths. These rolls are known as Apron Fence. They feature a 12" apron at the bottom of each roll which can be placed on the surface of the ground to prevent animals from digging under the fence.
GAW (Galvanized After Weld)
Hex netting chicken wire mesh and fence have been dipped in a bath of molten zinc after the weaving process. This gives them excellent protection from rust and corrosion.
- They are so rugged that they have been named "Salt Water Netting" by the mill
GAW meshes will last for many years before they need to be replaced. The rolls can be made with both 20 gauge and 18 gauge wires in 1" hexagonal mesh, 24", 36", 48" and 72" widths.
- There also is a very strong and heavy 16 gauge 1" mesh available in 72" x 180' rolls--this specification is used often as screening for paddle tennis courts
VC (Vinyl Coated)
Vinyl coated meshes are covered by a thick coating of black PVC and have a significantly longer life than GBW meshes. After the galvanized 20 gauge wire is woven, the resulting mesh is passed through a coating process that bonds the black vinyl tightly to the wires.
- The PVC will not crack or separate from the wire when the wire is bent
- UV inhibitors stands up to exposure from the sun
- Maintains its characteristics over a wide temperature range
Standard widths in 150' rolls are 12", 18", 24", 36", 48", 60" and 72". Special 90" x 100' rolls are available and can be used effectively as
Some of the uses for hex netting chicken wire mesh and fence include:
There are many different hex netting chicken wire meshes and fences to choose from, depending on your needs.
- framework for sculpture and float decorations
- chicken runs and poultry houses
- game bird flight pens
- stucco netting
- garden fencing
- trellis for climbing plants & flowers
- window guards
- exclusion barriers for birds
- tree and shrub protection
- hold insulation in place
- craft projects
- as a backing mesh for post and rail fence