About your garden and what goes around it...
Will you build a new garden fence this year?
Do you wonder what kind of fences will work well in your garden?
There are several different types of fences available that are excellent for gardens.
Welded Wire Fences
--offer the most choices. Available in a wide variety of:
- gauges - 16, 14 and 12.5
- mesh sizes - 1/2" x 1/2", 1/2" x 1", 1" x 1", 1" x 2", 2" x 2" and 2" x 4"
- finishes - galvanized before weld (GBW), galvanized after weld (GAW) and vinyl coated (VC)
In addition to the standard specifications listed above, there are other styles
Hexagonal Netting Fences
Lighter in weight than welded wire products.
- gauges - 20 and 18 gauges
- mesh sizes - 1" and 2"
- finishes - GBW, GAW, and VC
- gauges - 14.5 and 12.5
- mesh sizes - 1" x 6" through 7" x 12"
- finishes - galvanized, zinc/aluminum and black-painted
--have a 12" apron at the bottom of the roll. Lay this on top of the ground to form a barrier. Animals cannot dig under the fence and enter your garden.
- gauge - 17
- mesh size - 1-1/2"
- finishes - GBW and VC
These fences are labor savers. There is no need to dig a trench and bury the wire. Vegetation grows up through the apron, securely attaching it to the ground. The animals trying to dig into your garden will not realize that they must start their digging 12" away from the fence.
What kinds of fences have you used to protect your garden?
Are you considering all the different types of fences that are available before making your choice?
Do you prefer one type over another?